A Simple Guide for Meditating on Scripture
(Adapted from a letter by Martin Luther to his barber)
- Pray that God would speak to you through His word.
- Read a passage out loud to yourself several times. The repetition will slow you down enough to really hear the passage.
- Ask 3 questions abut the passage and spend time thinking and praying about each one of them.
- What should I praise God for because of these words?
- What should I confess to God because of these words?
- What should I ask God for because of these words?
- How to Read The Bible For All Its Worth – Gordon D. Fee and Douglas Stuart
- Reading the Bible With Heart and Mind – Tremper Longman III
- Shaped By The Word – The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation – M. Robert Mulholland, Jr.
- Eat This Book – Eugene H. Peterson
- *Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us – Adele Ahlberg Calhoun
- *Celebration of Disciplines – The Path to Spiritual Growth – Richard J. Foster
- Savoring God’s Word – Cultivating the Soul-Transforming Practice of Scripture Meditation – Jan Johnson
- *A Description of spiritual disciplines from the Renovare website: https://renovare.org/about/ideas/spiritual-disciplines
- *Podcast/blog from the Willowcreek ministry, The Practice : http://www.practicetribe.com/
- *App that uses the Ignatian practice of The Examen: http://reimaginingexamen.ignatianspirituality.com/
*These include other spiritual practices as well.